Thursday, November 18, 2010

Like none other


I think a person's eyes can divulge or disguise all the thoughts, fears and love that lie behind them.

I cannot get out of my mind the memory of certain eyes, even some I haven’t seen in years...




Hers is an iridescent blue glacier that I explore barefoot. It breaks off and slips slowly into the ocean with the heat of each of my steps, making my strides lengthen and the press of my soles strengthen with even an ounce of hope that maybe it is I who makes her melt.

Hers is a full-bodied caramel espresso that I’ve let sit for too long. I compensate by mixing in compliments, swirling until it splashes and spills, but I know it will be bitter and lukewarm by the time it obliges to touching my lips.

Hers is a thick marsh that I wade through with all my might. I resist the grip of its muddied memories and dodge the visceral slaps of its vines, knee-deep and struggling through to reach a single red rose that continues to believe this marsh can be its garden.

These were eyes like none other.

Because they were hers.

And I was in love.


No comments:

Post a Comment